Monday, November 14, 2011

Scrappy Projects Update

This week I only managed to get a few projects worked on, but definitely enjoyed our mini vacation in Las Vegas!


2011 SCRAPPY QUILT
I sewed 4 blocks together thinking it would be the top row of this quilt, until I measured it... 75" long!  This is going to be one HUGE quilt.  So now my row has become my column... I'm going to make it a 3 x 4 block quilt... which *should* measure about 56" x 75" (in theory)

 TRAVELING QUILT - new project!!!!

Back story about this project.  I saw this idea of a traveling quilt on the blog, Life Under Quilts, here in this post and I just knew I was going to HAND SEW this quilt.  Basically the idea is to use these 1.5" diamond quilt pattis (plastic templates) and baste the diamond shapes together using a few backstitches, then arrange them so they become a star.  Simple.  Easy.  Goes whereever you go.

Here is a great video tutorial of how this lady stitches her diamonds/stars together.  I've only watched it about a MILLION times!



So when we decided to take a road trip to Las Vegas, I immediately dug through my stash and started cutting up diamond shapes to make on the 3.5 hr drive.  And being the left brained nerd that I am, separated them according to where they go in the color wheel.  :D


Here's a nice picture of my nerdiness.


And here is my very first star for my traveling quilt!  I'm hoping to use bright colors and keep a very fun feel to the entire quilt, however, my scraps will pretty much determine the overall color scheme.

Neatest thing about the above photo ↑ is the pin cushion.  It belonged to my Gramma Kocher.  I bet she never thought her pin cushion would make it to Las Vegas!  She died some time ago, long before I ever got interested in sewing.  But I have a feeling she's keeping an eye on things from up there.

Whilst in Vegas, I managed to finish 2 stars!!!  I wrote on them Las Vegas, Nov 2011.  Hoping to turn this into an heirloom for Emma of all the fun places we went.  I plan on taking this traveling quilt with me next fall when Brian and I go to Germany to visit my brother. It will be interesting to see where I was when I finished a block over there!  Such a FUN project!


BABY BURPIES
These are so fun and easy to make!

BEAN BAG
My cousin Kyle LOVES dinosaurs and informed me when he was out here this summer that I could make him a bean bag for Christmas!  :D  He just turned 6.  So cute!  So I hunted around and found this adorable line from Timeless Treasures and got started on a bean bag chair for him.


CRISS CROSS QUILT - on the machine being quilted.  Hope to have it finished before the week is up!

CHRISTMAS QUILT -  is next to be quilted.

Well that's all for this week!  Hope you all had a great weekend!


~ * * ~
"Every quilt tells a story."
Author Unknown
~ * * ~

2 comments:

  1. You are soooooooo ambitious. Good for you. I need to get busy myself. Ohhhhhhh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your projects!!
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete