Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Farmer's Wife Quilt Along

Angela and her friend Amanda are hosting a quilt along for the sampler quilt designed by Laurie Aaron Hird, she blogs here.


They've even started a flicker group.  They have over 700 members already and have just entered into week 8 of this quilt along!


And a very creative member created this adorable button for the group:



And guess what?  I've decided to jump in, head first! There are 111 of these 6" blocks to be made.  Not sure how many I'm going to make, I guess we'll see where it goes!

I searched around for some fabrics on eBay and bought this lovely bundle of 1930's reproduction fabrics for $20!!!

Isn't this beautiful?!

And being the engineer/mathematician, left-brainer that I am.  I've already got everything organized!

Step 1:  Get all my fabrics seperated by dominant color, so that when I grab from the stash to make a block, I know exactly where to go for that color.

Step 2:  Print off and laminate all the templates.  These templates are provided for you in the book on a CD.  One of the members of the Flicker Group, created a PDF (15 pages) of all these templates.  I printed it off and took it to Staples so they could laminate them.

Step 3: While waiting for my templates to be laminated, I found a cheap Coupon Organizer to keep all 106 individual, tiny little templates together.



Step 4: Find an old 3 ring binder lying around the house (I have about a million of these!) and get some sheet protectors to keep my finished blocks in.  And stickers in the corner of each page to label what the block is inside. (told you I was a left-brainer)

Step 5:  Let the fun begin!

Since I'm jumping on this quilt a long during their 8th week, I'm a little behind, but am quickly catching up.  Click on this links to see my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment